Check out my new blog: GET YOUR STITCH ON!

Friday, September 26, 2008

Remembering my mom...4 year anniversary...

Today is the 4th year anniversary of my mom's death. Four years ago, I wasn't married yet, and my mom was up in Seattle preparing to get a bone marrow transplant. She had been up there all summer long and things were looking very positive. She had started chemo treatment to kill her bone marrow, so she could get some new healthy stuff. Well, as you can imagine, her immune system was very vulnerable and she caught an infection that went right to her brain. I remember it was a thurdsay night that my dad called all the kids to tell us that things had made a bad turn and we all needed to come up to Seattle. So Friday morning my mom called us all and we got to talk to her. I remember that she said "I love you, hurry fast so I can see you all." So we all jumped in the cars and drove up to Seattle. We spent all day in the hospital, but by that time, the infection was in her brain and she wasn't really herself. I do remember that when we would take pictures and tell her to smile, she would try her best to smile. (Always ready for a camera) Then on Saturday, close family and friends came up to see her and we were just all waiting to see what was going to happen. Then, that evening we had a little family meeting. My dad explained that they could try to do surgery, but because the infection had moved into her brain so quickly, the chances were very slim. My mom had fought this illness for sooo long, and I knew that she was finally done. So we went home that night. The next morning we were all getting ready to go to the hospital. My dad had stayed the night with my mom, and they were able to have a coherent conversation. He went home early in the morning to take a shower. When he got back, she had passed away. We got the call while we were getting ready in the bathroom and it was just a stunning moment that I anticipated, but didn't really expect. We headed down to the hospital to say one last goodbye. I don't think it really hit me until the funeral. I remember standing with my dad at the coffin before the funeral at the viewing. Everyone else was married, so it was just me and my dad. People were coming in t0 see her and see us and I remember it just hit me right then and there. I was holding my moms hand and just broke down and fell onto my mom lying there and just cried for a few minutes and let my body take it all in.
So, it has been four years now, and I still miss her all the time. Here are are a few pictures to remember how awesome she was.

She was so beautiful, I like to think that I look a lot like her. I was the only one who got her brown hair and green eyes. I was the last of 6 kids, and she used to always say to me, "practice makes perfect!" Because everyone else had blonde hair and blue eyes!


I like this picture because I remember her being pretty healthy at this time, and it was my Brother Shawn's, wedding reception and she always knew how to throw a great party!

I am not born yet, but 4 kids and she still looks great. We may have been poor growing up, but my mom was thrifty, so we didn't really know we were poor. We still had fun! Even if it was squeezing into a tiny pool in the front yard:)

My mom was so good at getting pictures done of all of us kids and the family. That's me in the front. She and my dad made a pretty good lookin' family! (Call out to my dad.. no belly to poke here, Dad!!! hee hee)

She was soooo much fun. Always having a good time! The life of the party. That's my mom!


Just a bunch of the girls primping one weekend night. She was always ready for spontaneity!

Oh, my mom and dad,... so cute!


She LOVED being a mom! I always felt that love from her. She was amazing with kids, always had something to do, I don't know how she raised 6 kids. That takes someone special!
And special she was, missed, but remembered every day!
Love you, mom.
Hailey Jailey
(mom's nick name for me growing up)




10 comments:

Merkley Jiating said...

This is so sweet. Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate it. She was so beautiful and I think you look a lot like her!
-Emily

Alli Blue said...

I remember your mom. We met a few times when Shawn had a ton of people over at your parents house to swim! You are so lucky to have such a great family! You ARE your mother's daughter! :)

Claire said...

I will have to tell my mom to come take a look at your blog, I am crying so I know that she will love it. They were great friends! Love ya kiddo

Da Bergs said...

Hailey, thanks for sharing...

Ben and Dena said...

Hailey, you amaze me- you're a wonderful mom, just like you say yours was. What a great way to carry on her memory.

{z} said...

oh man...thanks for making me cry. I have always felt like your mom was a second mom. I miss her soo!

Kelly Merrell said...

That was such a sweet post. I shouldn't have read it on a day when I was already over-emotional. :)

Jen said...

So beautiful. Thanks Hailey. You two really do look like each other and what a sweet thing for her to say, "Practice makes perfect". I'm glad we all were able to hear those precious memories and share with you =).

Lorna Collette-Marti said...

Very Sweet Hailey - I can tell that your mom was awesome - because her kids are amazing! Thanks for sharing -
Love - Lorna

Melissa said...

I loved reading this post and getting to know your mom and family better. She sounds like such a fun and wonderful woman. Those were some pretty great family photos---the one of everyone in the pool is classic!

A quick synopsis of how this little Frogley family began!

Our Friends and Family